Sunday, January 16, 2011

Chitose (I missed the bus)

Tokyo's Haneda Airport domestic terminal two is great. They have an outdoor observation deck which stretches along the top roof section of the building, and is integrated with some restaurants and cafes. The area is darkened at night, and the roof area covered with hundreds of taxiway lights which change slowly over time.

Observation Deck, Haneda Airport Domestic Terminal 2
Haneda Airport, with Tokyo Skyline in Distance
I arrived into New Chitose Airport in Hokkaido around 2230, and hoped to meet up with the group staying at the lodge who were arriving around the same time but no such luck. It was at this point I realised I probably should have booked tickets on one of the buses to Niseko. Reminded me of this classic song from the early 90's. 


The airport closes at 2300, and as I sat down to find a hostel on the internet, the lady from the information counter came over to advise me that I couldn't stay in the airport past this time, and the last JR train was leaving very soon. She literally ran with me to the JR station. I got the train through, and am spending my first Hokkaido night in Chitose Hyper Hotel. There's a fair bit of snow around on the streets here in town, so it looks like it might be epic up on the mountains.
Outside Chitose JR Station

No comments:

Post a Comment